BREAKING: Mass Shooting at University

( – HAPPENING NOW: A mass shooting on Morgan State University’s campus in Northeast Baltimore has injured five individuals, four of whom are university students. The attack disrupted homecoming week celebrations at the school.

The incident was reported around 9:30 p.m. last night when the university’s police officers heard gunshots. They discovered multiple victims near a campus residential structure and a fine arts building. Baltimore Police, alongside federal agents, promptly arrived at the scene.

The shooting is believed to have occurred outdoors. While the authorities have not identified any suspects yet, Baltimore Police Commissioner Richard Worley did not confirm the number of shooters involved during an early Wednesday news conference. However, a tweet from Baltimore City Councilman Ryan Dorsey mentioned that the police informed him of the possibility of three shooters being involved.

Commissioner Worley provided details about the victims, stating they comprised four males and one female, aged between 18 and 22.

Thurgood Marshall Hall and the Murphy Fine Arts Center became the main focus of the police investigation. Some windows were damaged due to the gunfire, leading authorities to suspect an active shooter situation. Consequently, students were advised to remain sheltered until after midnight. It was only after that time that the police declared the scene safe, stating it was “no longer an active shooter situation.”

On being questioned about the absence of any suspect capture or identification, Commissioner Worley clarified that the decision was taken after a thorough search by a SWAT team of a specific building they believed might have been connected to the shooting. He explained, “They cleared every single floor twice,” but did not specify which building. He further stated, “We opened it back up because the shooter was nowhere around that we could find.”

The FBI, along with special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, also joined the investigation. In a tweet early Wednesday, Governor Wes Moore expressed his involvement by stating that he and his team “are in close contact with officials on the ground and are monitoring the situation.”