(ReclaimingAmerica.net) – The American public is seemingly underestimating the giant influx of illegal aliens coming across the US-Mexican border, which is increasingly viewed as an “invasion,” the results from a new public opinion poll demonstrate.
According to a Harvard University poll, 75% of Americans believe fewer than 1 million illegals entered the country during the 2022 fiscal year, which ended on September 30.
According to Customs and Border Protection data, the actual figure is 2.75 million, 1 million more than in the 2021 fiscal year.
Only 6% of the respondents guessed the correct figure by saying there were between 2 and 3 million new illegal alien arrivals.
Another 7% were almost correct in saying that more than 3 million illegals came to the US last fiscal year.
The remaining 12% of Americans also somewhat underestimated the illegal immigration crisis by saying there were between 1 and 2 million new unlawful immigrant arrivals in FY 2022.
The Harvard University poll discovered, however, that while the American public may be aware of the true scope of the migrant crisis when Americans learn about it, they demand stricter policies so the US government can crack down on it.
Thus, 67% or two-thirds of the respondents said “stricter policies” were needed after they learned that nearly 3 million illegals arrived in the US last fiscal year. The other 33% said the existing regulations were sufficient.
The same survey also found that 64% of Americans view illegal immigration as a “serious” problem, The Washington Examiner reported.
Roughly the same number – 67% – said executive orders issued by President Joe Biden stimulated illegal immigration.
Slightly fewer, 63%, believe Biden’s policies have “in effect opened” the US-Mexican border.
More than two-thirds – or 68% – of Americans believe that “people who cross the border with Mexico illegally should be turned back to Mexico.”
The Biden administration’s current policy, under which illegals are “released into the US with a court date,” is supported by 32%.
The report pointed out former President Donald Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” program, under which illegal immigrants were turned back to Mexico, “solved the 2019 border crisis.”
It added that before the midterms, Biden thought of enforcing stricter immigration policies. However, the stronger-than-expected Democrat performance in the election dissuaded him from doing that.
Nearly 6 million illegal immigrants – over 1 million gotaways included – have come to the United States since Biden became president almost two years ago.
“The Harvard poll also showed that, if anything, voters are underestimating the size of Biden’s border crisis.” https://t.co/qPCYN0zt7J
— Conn Carroll (@conncarroll) December 20, 2022